Marijuana is also known as ganja, pot, or weed, this green plant is popular because of getting its users stoned. Therefore mainly used for recreational purposes.
Pot, however, has a lot of controversy surrounding it as some people also enjoy it for the therapeutic benefits it can provide. THC is the psychoactive compound responsible for the ‘high feeling’ while CBD is now known and researched for the therapeutic benefits.
Over the years, this plant has garnered a lot of exciting stories. Below is a collection of fun facts you can laugh and awe at in your next sesh.
- In 1972, years before the invention of commercial online stores, students from Stanford University based in California sold a tiny amount of Marijuana to MIT students using a prototype of the internet called ‘Arapnet’.
The occasion marked the first-ever online transaction. Years later, who would have thought that there would be entire online stores like The Black Rabbit dedicated to selling marijuana?
- CBD, a cannabis-derived compound, could help prevent cancer. Although research is still ongoing to ascertain that it’s a safe and effective treatment, the world could be on the brink of a breakthrough. How cool is that?
- Beer and cannabis are closely related. This is because beer hops used to preserve and add to the rich taste of beer and cannabis descend from the Cannabaceae family.
- In 2008, 789 grams of cannabis were discovered in a Chinese grave. It’s said to have been over 2,700 years old.
- After he died in 1981, Bob Marley was buried with four items. His red Gibson Les Paul Guitar, a football, a ganja flower, and a bible opened at Psalms 23. No need to google what it says; the NIV bible begins,” The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing. He makes me lie down in green pastures…”. Jah bless!
- In 2013, Uruguay became the pioneer country to legalize the growth, sale, and consumption of cannabis globally.
- Ropes, caulk, and canvases used for tents and sails were historically made of hemp. The main plant from which CBD extraction takes place.
- U.S first black president Barack Obama was a member of the ‘Choum Gang’ at the Punahou School in Honolulu, Hawaii. ‘Choum’ is slang for smoking weed, and the gang members used to play basketball and smoke weed in their leisure time.
- In Italy, it’s legal for members of the Rastafarian community to possess and consume cannabis because they regard it as a holy communion in their religion.
- Bhang is an Indian milkshake made out of nuts, spices, yogurt or milk, rose, water, cannabis, and locals drink it in honor of their god Shiva.
Image source: Unsplash.com
- Marijuana use has peaked by over 60% in the past decade, and over 200 million people smoke weed worldwide. Men are also twice as likely as women to smoke marijuana in the U.S.
- In 6000 B.C, cannabis seeds were extracted and used as a food source by the Chinese.
- Therapeutic uses of cannabis go back centuries ago. The Chinese emperor Shen Nung confessed to the drug’s effectiveness in treating the pain caused by rheumatism and gout.
- In the late 19th century, marijuana was used as a common alternative to alcohol. This is because marijuana’s euphoric and sedative effects did not lead to domestic violence.
- Eighteen years ago, Canada became the first country globally to allow the sale and consumption of medical marijuana to patients experiencing pain.
Image source: Unsplash.com
- The American rapper Tupac Shakur was assassinated in 1996, later on, a member of his Outlawz crew mixed his ashes with weed and smoked the joint preparation to honor him.
- In 1949, scientists in a U.S military base camp synthesized a cannabis derivative in the laboratory and called it dimethylheptylpyran (DMHP). Its potency was so high that 1 mg could have you stoned for three days straight.
- You cannot die from a marijuana overdose, unlike many other drugs. However, if you are serious about it, you would have to smoke about 680 kg of weed in 15 minutes.
- Marijuana could have many therapeutic effects, such as managing PTSD, chronic pain, depression, anxiety, insomnia, and many others. However, research is still ongoing, and the future could be promising as scientists continue to make advancements.
- Did you know that they gave spiders marijuana? It led to the arachnids making messy webs, and their mental focus was easily sidetracked. With LSD, on the other hand, they made much more precise geometric patterns, even better than when they were sober.
Marijuana has been around for quite some time, and people have had fun stories to tell after consuming it. Are you interested in trying it out? Please purchase it from legit distributors by checking the measures they have undertaken to ensure high quality. Also, ensure your state laws allow the consumption of pot.
Please remember that any marijuana effects are subjective, and you should first consult your physician to ensure you are fit to consume it.