Introduction to Cooking with CBD
Cooking with CBD has gained immense popularity in recent years, as more people discover the potential health benefits of this non-psychoactive compound found in cannabis. In this blog post, we will explore some delicious and easy-to-make recipes that incorporate CBD, inspired by top CBD chef Chris Sayegh, also known as “The Herbal Chef.” We’ll guide you through the process of creating mouth-watering dishes infused with CBD, while also highlighting essential tips and tricks to ensure your culinary creations are both delightful and effective.
Understanding CBD in the Kitchen
Before we delve into the recipes, it’s crucial to understand some key aspects of cooking with CBD. To create dishes with the desired potency, you’ll need to familiarise yourself with the various CBD products available, how to dose them properly, and how heat affects the compound.
Choosing Your CBD Product
When cooking with CBD, you can choose from a range of products, such as CBD oil, CBD isolate powder, and CBD-infused cooking oils. For most recipes, CBD oil is the most versatile option, as it can be easily incorporated into a wide variety of dishes. However, CBD isolate powder may be preferred for recipes that require precise dosing or a more neutral flavour. Additionally, some specialty CBD-infused cooking oils, like olive or coconut oil, can be used as a substitute for regular cooking oils in certain recipes.
Dosing CBD in Recipes
Determining the right CBD dosage for your recipes is essential to achieving the desired effects. Always start with a lower dose and gradually increase it until you find the optimal amount for your needs. It’s important to remember that individual tolerance to CBD varies, so what works for one person may not work for another. As a general guideline, begin with a dose of 5-15 mg of CBD per serving and adjust as needed.
Heat and CBD
CBD is sensitive to heat, and exposing it to high temperatures may cause the compound to degrade, reducing its effectiveness. When cooking with CBD, it’s best to use low-heat cooking methods or add the CBD oil or powder towards the end of the cooking process to preserve its potency.
CBD-Infused Recipes to Delight Your Palate
Now that we’ve covered the basics of cooking with CBD, it’s time to dive into some scrumptious recipes inspired by The Herbal Chef, Chris Sayegh. From savoury dishes to delectable desserts, we’ve got you covered!
CBD-Infused Pesto Pasta
- 250g spaghetti or your preferred pasta
- 1 large handful of fresh basil leaves
- 50g pine nuts, toasted
- 50g grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 120ml extra virgin olive oil
- 30ml CBD oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Cook the pasta according to the package instructions until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- In a food processor, combine the basil, pine nuts, Parmesan, and garlic. Pulse until finely chopped.
- With the food processor running, slowly drizzle in the olive oil and CBD oil. Continue processing until the mixture is smooth and well combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Toss the cooked pasta with the CBD-infused pesto sauce until evenly coated. Serve immediately, garnished with extra Parmesan and fresh basil leaves, if desired.
CBD-Infused Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 225g unsalted butter, softened
- 100ml CBD-infused coconut oil, melted
- 200g granulated sugar
- 160g light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 5ml pure vanilla extract
- 375g plain flour
- 5g bicarbonate of soda
- 2g salt
- 300g chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 160°C (320°F) and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the softened butter, CBD-infused coconut oil, granulated sugar, and light brown sugar until smooth and creamy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Stir in the vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, bicarbonate of soda, and salt. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, mixing until just combined.
- Fold in the chocolate chips, ensuring they are evenly distributed throughout the dough.
- Using a cookie scoop or spoon, drop rounded tablespoons of dough onto the prepared baking tray, spacing them about 5cm apart.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until the edges of the cookies are lightly golden. Allow the cookies to cool on the tray for a few minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- 3 ripe avocados, peeled, pitted, and diced
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, deseeded and diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, deseeded and minced (optional)
- Juice of 1 lime
- 15ml CBD oil
- Small handful of fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, mash the diced avocados with a fork or potato masher until you achieve your desired consistency (chunky or smooth).
- Stir in the chopped red onion, diced tomatoes, minced jalapeno (if using), and chopped coriander leaves.
- In a separate small bowl, mix the lime juice and CBD oil. Drizzle the mixture over the avocado mixture and stir to combine.
- Season the guacamole with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours.
CBD-Infused Berry Smoothie
- 250g mixed frozen berries (such as strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries)
- 240ml unsweetened almond milk or milk of choice
- 1 ripe banana, peeled and sliced
- 30g rolled oats
- 15ml honey or maple syrup (optional)
- 15ml CBD oil
- In a blender, combine the frozen berries, almond milk, banana, rolled oats, and honey or maple syrup (if using). Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Add the CBD oil and blend for a few more seconds to incorporate it evenly throughout the smoothie.
- Pour the smoothie into glasses and serve immediately. Enjoy!
Final Thoughts on Cooking with CBD
Cooking with CBD can be an enjoyable and creative way to incorporate the potential benefits of this versatile compound into your diet. By following these easy and delicious recipes inspired by The Herbal Chef, Chris Sayegh, and the tips provided throughout this blog post, you’ll be well on your way to creating CBD-infused culinary masterpieces that are both tasty and potentially beneficial. Happy cooking!